Pancakes are one of my favorite breakfast foods. They’re easy to make, satisfying, filling, delicious, and are always crowd-pleasers. They also pair well with almost any other breakfast item, from fresh fruit and whipped coconut cream to vegan breakfast sausages. Hope you like them!
For the Blackberry Compote:
- 3/4 cups fresh blackberries
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 3 Tablespoons agave nectar
For the pancakes:
- 3/4 cups organic corn flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons oil (peanut oil or melted refined coconut oil)
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (or any kind of dairy free milk)
- 2 Tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Earth Balance Buttery Spread (to fry the pancakes in)
- In a small sauce pot over low to medium-low heat mix together the berries, molasses, and agave. Stir occasionally while you make the pancakes.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the corn flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and kosher salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the oil, almond milk, agave, and vanilla. Next stir the liquid into the flour mixture, mixing until well combined yet still lumpy.
- Heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, put a small dab of butter where each pancake will be cooked. You can make the pancakes any size you want, according to how many you want to cook at once, and the size of your pan. Just make sure none of them are touching while they cook and it should be fine.
- Ladle enough batter on top of the melted butter in the pan to make the size of pancake you want. Wait until the edges start to look cooked and the bubbles start to pop to flip them, they just take about 1-2 minutes on each side. Re-butter the pan before each new pancake.
- Serve topped with warm blackberry compote. Enjoy!