One of my mother’s go-to holiday recipes is Cranberry Pie, which is really simple and delicious. She loves to make it because it’s so easy, and everybody loves it because it’s perfectly sweet and tart, but also super light and airy; perfect for after a big holiday meal. Even people who say they don’t like cranberry sauce love her pie. I’ve taken all the elements of her’s, but used lots of whole-food ingredients, like dates, cashews, walnuts, and coconut. I like to make my own cranberry sauce, but if you’d like to save on time, the whole-berry cranberry sauce from a can or carton works just fine.
For the crust:
- 1 1/4 cups walnuts
- 1 cup dried shredded coconut
- 7 dates
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the pie filling:
- 2 1/2 cups cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 cup whole berry cranberry sauce, plus more to put on top (here’s my recipe for Maple and Black Pepper Cranberry Sauce…which is AWESOME in this recipe)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- cream from the top of 2 cans of coconut milk (save the coconut water for something else like a smoothie…or you can bake with it, or use it in a creamy curry sauce)
- whipped coconut cream on top (since I don’t have a recipe online for this here’s a link to a good one)
- In a large food processor (or a blender should work too) combine the walnuts, salt, dates, and coconut until there are no large pieces left. The mixture should be homogeneous and sticky.
- Press the crust mixture into the bottom of a pie pan (all the way up the sides to make a crust) or an 8″ springform pan will work great too (if using a springform pan, just press the crust into the bottom, and not all the way up the sides).
- Put the crust aside in the fridge while you work on the cranberry pie filling. Add all ingredients to a high-powered blender and blend for 5-10 minutes on high, scraping down the sides occasionally.
- When the mixture has become super creamy, pour the cranberry pie filling onto the coconut crust.
- Let cool in the fridge for at least 6 hours before serving.
- Serve topped with more cranberry sauce and coconut whipped cream (optional).