I love homemade cranberry sauce around the holidays. This one is perfect for Thanksgiving, and should pair with any other dishes you’ll be making. The next day, put it on a roll with the rest of your leftovers! I like to get a little creative with the traditional flavors just to make it a bit more complex. You can enjoy this warm or make it a day or two in advance, because it’s great cold too.
*Side note: I also use this cranberry sauce to make my Cranberry Coconut Cream Pie, so make a double batch ahead of time and you will have both a side dish with dinner and you can make a fantastic creamy and healthy dessert!
- 3 cups (12 oz.) fresh cranberries
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup apple juice (preferably unfiltered)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a small sauce pot, mix together the cranberries, lemon zest, apple juice, maple syrup and coconut sugar. Cook over low to medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Raise heat to medium and cook 10 more minutes, keep stirring a little more frequently now.
- Turn off the heat on the burner, stir in salt and pepper and let cool for ten minutes to thicken, while still stirring occasionally.