I’ve been making lots of galettes this summer. I love them because they’re easy to make, easily customized (both the dough and the filling) and they always come out great! Plus they are super rustic, which means if it ends up kinda messy that’s okay! Great! This galette features two of my favorite summertime flavors, peaches and sweet corn, which pair surprisingly well. In the pictures I topped it with a homemade sweet corn ice cream too! Oh, it was so good! Strawberries would also make a lovely pairing with this sweet corn crust, or maybe just strawberry ice cream on top. In the crust, I used freeze-dried corn, which can be found at all the Whole Foods Markets I’ve been to, but it can also be ordered online. Here’s a link to order it online. Perhaps you can look forward to seeing some savory ones on the blog too, I’m thinking cashew cream with potatoes and rosemary or maybe some broccoli.
For the peach filling:
- 2 cups sliced peaches
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- small pinch of nutmeg
For the corn crust:
- 3/4 cups freeze dried corn, powdered in a food processor
- 1 cup flour
- 1 Tablespoon of sugar + a little more to sprinkle on the crust before baking
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup refined coconut oil, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons ice cold water
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the powdered corn, flour, sugar, and salt. Next, add the small pieces of coconut oil to the bowl and then continue to work them into the mixture using your fingers, doing this quickly so the oil doesn’t melt.
- Stir the ice cold water into the flour mixture and mix until the dough comes together.
- Roll the dough out on a floured sheet of parchment paper to about a 12″ circle.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together all ingredients for the peach filling and stir until well combined.
- Pile the fruit filling in the middle of the crust, leaving about a 2″ border around the edges.
- Next, fold the edges up just to hold in the peach filling, overlap the dough where needed.
- Chill the galette for one hour in the fridge. Then preheat the oven to 375 degrees and bake for 45 minutes.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving. This is great served hot or cold, and it’s bomb with ice cream on top.